Blog - Study in Poland

Study in Poland

Study in Poland

If you have decided to study in one of the fastest developing countries in Europe, you should get familiar with a few necessary pieces of information on recruitment process and the system of studying which is present in-between the borders of Poland.

Three-Tier System
Polish system of education, similarly to other European countries, is based on the three-tier system. Both each Polish citizen, and every foreigner has the right to either start or continue their education if they meet the entry requirements set by the given university. The three-tier system consists of the following cycles.

First Cycle - lasts typically three years (number of semesters might differ in certain study courses). First Cycle is usually awarding a Bachelor’s degree. 

Second Cycle - one that might be undertaken only if you are awarded a Bachelor ’s degree, lasts typically 2 years; dependable on course might as well last one year, usually awarding a Master’s degree.

Third Cycle - that analogically, can be completed only if you have completed the previous two. Lasts 4 years and is awards a doctoral degree

In the case of the First and the Second Cycle, studying can start only at institutions qualified for that purpose. However, in the case of doctoral studies, it is possible to take advantage of the educational offer of the scientific institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Institute of Researchers and International Scientific Institute operating on the Polish territory. In the case of postgraduate studies, there is also the opportunity to start learning both at the university and selected institutions, including the Medical Centre of Postgraduate Education. Education at universities can be completed in both full and part-time cycles. 

Recruitment Process
Studies at state-owned universities in the full-time cycle are free of charge. However, when it comes to beginning the second course in full-time cycle, or continuing your education in the part-time cycle, the student is obliged to pay tuition fees. Those rules apply to both Polish and foreign citizens with the right to learn free of charge. However, the rest of the candidates are obliged to pay for both full and part-time studies at private and state-owned universities. The exception occurs with people entitled to benefit from scholarships. Studies in foreign language costs approximately 2000 euros annually. When it comes to private universities, this price might fluctuate between 2000 and 6000 euro, depending on the university and the course selection. 

Foreigners, who are subject to the same recruitment process as Polish citizens (including the payment system), are:

•people with the possession of the permanent stay permit
•people having a valid Pole’s Card
•those granted refugee status by Poland
•benefiting from temporary protection in Poland
•being migrant workers who are members of the European Union (EU), the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) and members of their •families, if they live in Poland
•people with a permit for long-term EU residence granted in Poland
•users of subsidiary protection in Poland with a citizenship of EU Member States, EFTA countries and members of their families who have the right of permanent residence

For the rest, studies are payable. Furthermore, candidates can face other requirements, when their final-diploma results can’t be converted for the scoring system at Polish universities. Moreover, foreigners that strive to start studies in Polish, have to prove their proficiency with:

  • A certificate confirming completion of the course of the Polish language in the units designated by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education. 
  • Certificate of proficiency in the Polish language issued by the State Commission Statement of Proficiency in Polish as a Foreign Language
  • Certification by the host institution

The stay permit and health care
Citizens of European Union only have to possess ID that confirms their citizenship. If your stay will last less that three months you are not obliged to carry out any formalities. However, if your stay will exceed this period, you have to register your stay in the local provincial office. Healthcare for EU citizens is free of charge, if the given person is in the possession of valid health insurance in his or her country, passport, student ID and valid European Health Insurance Card. 

For non-EU citizens, a valid passport and if necessary, a visa, are required. Moreover, everyone not from EU has to apply for temporary stay permit before the expiration of visa. Moreover, those candidates are obliged to buy worldwide health insurance before their arrival in Poland or sign the contract with the National Health Fund (NFZ) and make insurance charges. Completing the above-mentioned formalities allow a student to use healthcare in-between Polish borders free of charge. 

If you have decided to start studies in Poland, which might force you to move away, you have to consider accommodation issue. Depending on the city and university selection, accommodation offers for students might differ. Even though dorms are often granted by the university at a relatively low price, the vast majority of students choose renting their own flat. 

When it comes to dorms, their price and standard depends mostly on the university selection. However, rental of one room for more than one person costs approximately 60-80 euros a month. Choosing a single room increases the price to 100-150 euros a month. 

You can as well choose renting your own flat, but this will cost you even more. You can expect a price of approximately 250 euros a month. However, remember that in bigger cities like the Polish capital Warsaw, this price will certainly be higher. This is the reason why most people choose to rent a flat in the group of 2 or 3 in order to reduce the costs. 

More information of each and every Polish university to be found on

If you have any additional questions concerning the recruitment process for Polish universities, send as a message to: We will do everything to dispel your doubts.